The 39-year-old is back in Liverpool to film series four of the hit BBC drama
Hollywood star Tom Hardy was spotted on set in Liverpool as filming for series four of Peaky Blinders begins.
The actor was seen in period dress on Dublin Street in Vauxhall as he returned to his role as Londoner Alfie Solomons.
Hardy, 39, a fan favourite in the 1920s set BBC2 gangster drama, was whisked away from the set at just after 8pm on Tuesday.
Despite the hit show being set in Birmingham, much of the filming takes place in Liverpool.
Actor Cillian Murphy, who plays Thomas Shelby, was also in action this week for scenes filmed in Toxteth.
Kinmel Street, South Street, and Powis Street have been transformed into 1920s Birmingham, with retro-looking adverts placed on the side of buildings, and classic cars, horses and carts on the road.
The new series of Peaky Blinders, which follows the Shelby family as they expand their empire across the country, was confirmed last autumn.
Star Murphy revealed earlier this year that filming would begin this month.
He said at the time: “The success of it is down to really great writing.
“People in America love it, people in Australia love it, people in Poland love it – it’s mad.”
Series one to three included locations such as Seacombe Ferry Terminal in Wirral, Croxteth Hall and Stanley Dock.
Mad Dog Casting, the firm who provide extras for Peaky Blinders and other North West productions, has put out a casting call for anyone wanting to be an extra in similar programmes.
Tom Hardy is reportedly reuniting with Ridley Scott, who handed him his big screen debut in Black Hawk Down, for a new action movie funded by Netflix.
The Hollywood Reporter claims that Tom will star in War Party, which is set to be produced by Scott’s company Scott Free Productions and directed by Andrew Dominik, who previously helmed The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford.
Plot details for the project are yet to be revealed but it’s thought that the film will be based on real-life events, with Hardy portraying a decorated US Navy Seal who is sent on a perilous mission.
Netflix are also confirmed to have won rights for the film, after reportedly beating off competition from studios including Universal, Lionsgate and streaming competitors Amazon.
But before he has the chance to play the finest of the US military, Tom will next be seen as a British World War Two hero in Christopher Nolan’s Dunkirk, which is set for release in July and also marks the acting debut of one Harry Styles.
Ridley, meanwhile, is gearing up to release Alien: Covenant; his production house previously produced Tom’s BBC period drama Taboo earlier this year.
Forget chocolates or flowers – the BBC has come up with the ideal gift for Mother’s Day
Struggling for a Mother’s Day gift? Well fear not, because the BBC has just come up with the perfect idea, and it comes in the form of Taboo actor Tom Hardy.
After setting pulses racing on CBeebies last month, the heartthrob actor is set to return to the kiddies’ TV show to read another bedtime story on Mother’s Day.
om Hardy’s CBeebies Bedtime Stories will air on March 26 at 6.50pm
The actor has been brought back by Beeb bosses after his last two appearances on Valentine’s Day and New Year’s Eve sparked a social media frenzy.
The 39-year-old will now read a tale about an ‘angry little mouse’ on Mother’s Day on Sunday, March 26.
He will read There’s A Bear On My Chair, by Ross Collins, the ‘hilarious story about an angry little mouse who is desperately trying to move a bear from his chair’.
Fans of Tom Hardy will be overjoyed to hear they have not heard the last grunt from the enigmatic James Delaney.
A second series of his BBC One drama Taboo has been commissioned – thanks in part to its success on the BBC iPlayer.
Set in 19th Century London, the first series saw Hardy’s character return from Africa to claim an inheritance.
The actor, who conceived the show with his father Chips and writer Steven Knight, said its recommissioning was “fantastic news”.
“We are grateful and excited to continue our relationship with the BBC and FX in contributing towards British drama,” he added.
Jonathan Pryce played the sinister Sir Stuart Strange in the eight-part drama
The first series came to an end on 25 February and drew an average consolidated audience of 5.8 million – a figure reached after seven days that takes some catch-up viewing into account.
According to the BBC, though, the drama’s average audience was closer to 7 million, with viewers discovering it after that seven-day window.
Charlotte Moore, the BBC’s director of content, said Taboo “proves overnight ratings are not the only measure of success.”
“I’m thrilled that a work which pushes boundaries has been so well received,” said Knight, who produced the show with Tom and Sir Ridley Scott.
The first series of Taboo will remain on the iPlayer until 27 March.
Don’t forget Tom is reading another CBeebies story tonight at 6:50pm.